Materials Industrial Engineer
The materials industrial engineer will find ways to prevent waste and inefficiency in logistic, material management and operational processes. Will help develop and lead continuous improvement systems and initiatives to optimize complex processes, systems and flows. They will design efficient systems that integrate workers, information, machines, energy and materials to optimize logistics, make products or provide services. The industrial engineer will also design equipment, capacity and flow plans to coordinate with production planning to minimize production issues and costs while ensuring products meet quality, cost and service standards. They will design, develop and maintain material flow routes to maximize quality, effectiveness, efficiency and space. The industrial engineer will also make sure the company complies with all industry standards for safety while meeting design standards and guidelines. They will also lead or support other teams or work in support roles as needed on less complex projects or improvement initiatives.
Industrial Engineer responsibilities and duties:
· Review logistics, material planning and production information to understand methods and activities in materials, manufacturing and services. This includes, but is not limited to, production schedules, inbound, internal and outbound material flow, processes and engineering specs.
· Learn and deploy world class manufacturing systems and operational business standards
· Design control systems to minimize and resolve material, flow, project costs and to make financial planning and analysis more efficient
· Create systems, layouts, tools and plans within the materials org. to ensure all products meet quality, cost and service standards.
· Figure out how perform delivery services, with maximum efficiency/minimum waste/least cost
· Enact quality control procedures to resolve material delivery problems or minimize costs
· Develop standards, capacity plans, and system designs by working with all levels of organization, customers (internal & external), suppliers and contractors.
· Confer with clients about product specifications, vendors about purchases, management personnel about manufacturing capabilities, and staff about the status of projects
· Creativity. Use creativity and ingenuity to design new operating processes in many kinds of settings to reduce use of material resources, time, or labor while accomplishing the same goal.
· Critical-thinking skills. Create new systems to solve problems related to waste and inefficiency. Solving these problems requires logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to the problems.
· Listening skills. Operate in teams, but also solicit feedback from customers, vendors, and production staff. Listen to customers to fully grasp ideas and problems the first time.
· Math skills. Use the principles of advanced topics in mathematics for analysis, design, and troubleshooting in their work.
· Problem-solving skills. Deal with several issues at once, from workers' safety to quality assurance.
· Speaking skills. Capable of explaining instructions or teaching production staff or technicians before making written instructions available. Being able to explain concepts clearly and quickly is crucial to preventing costly mistakes and loss of time.
· Writing skills. Create documentation for other professionals or for future reference. The documentation must be coherent and clearly explain so that others can understand the information.
Industrial Engineer qualifications and skills
· Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Engineering, Management, Project Engineering or Manufacturing Engineering
· 5+ years of experience in an Industrial Engineering role
· Knowledge of logistics and production processes, costs, quality control, raw materials and other methods for maximizing the efficient movement, storage and flow of materials, goods and services within a manufacturing environment.
· Advanced knowledge of warehouse operations, material flow, material handling machines and tools and manufacturing operating systems.
· Knowledge of various business systems (SAP, AutoCAD, MS Office, Google Suites, Project management tools) and how changes in operations, the environment and other conditions will affect outcomes.
· Strong communication, planning and initiative skills.
Company Description Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the world's leading major home appliance company, with approximately $21 billion in annual sales, 92,000 employees and 70 manufacturing and technology research centers in 2017. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, Jenn-Air, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world.